Wednesday, October 5, 2011

A few happenings

Well, Monday evening it hit. After nearly 5 weeks in my new role of "school teacher" I began to feel the pressure. Maybe every home schooling mom doesn't struggle in this area, but I knew when we decided to do this it would be a battle for me due to my selfish nature. After the kids went to bed Monday evening, I just burst into tears for no apparent reason. Poor Jason was trying to understand what was wrong so he could offer support. He asked if I was unhappy with home schooling. No, not at all. In fact, I'm really loving it. I really wasn't unhappy at all, just feeling a little overwhelmed and sucked dry. Don't get me wrong here. I love my kids. All I ever wanted to be growing up was a good wife and mother. When I was blessed to come home from my "career" after the birth of our 2nd child, it was a dream come true. (even if it was more like we didn't have a choice since we couldn't afford childcare for 2 kids) We had to make sacrifices and it was, and has been, totally worth it. I never dreamed I would be able to have them home with me during the day after they started school. It's been awesome...however...Do you know how many questions 4 children can ask or how many arguements can take place within an hour? Do you know that mine are awake for 13 hours a day? That equates to a lot of questions (which I am happy to answer, of course :) and bickering. By the time they were in bed each night, it was as if my ears were ringing. It was obvious that I needed a little escape to gather my thoughts...or just confirm that I did, indeed, still have some of my very own thoughts. My sweet hubby came home from work the following day & pushed me out the door for some alone time. I thought about calling a friend to join me, but honestly, I just needed some peace & quiet. It was only a 3 1/2 hour break, but the kids were in bed when I got home and it was just enough time for me to relax a bit and recharge. I have a great man. This morning I felt like a new woman, ready to face our day.
Flu season is among us. I've not taken the kids for the flu vaccine in the past because the last time I got one I had a little local reaction and just didn't want them to be uncomfortable when doctors couldn't guarantee that all the strains were covered in the shot. Last November the flu bug hit our house with a vengeance. I was the only one spared. 5 cases of flu turned into 2 cases of pneumonia, strep throat, ear infections and asthma issues that lingered on into February....that being said, I loaded the kids up after school today for the flu nasal mist. We arrived at our appointment and upon check in the receptionist asks me if any of the kids have asthma...well, yes, one does- which disqualified him for the painless nasal spray :( Oh, he was NOT happy. I felt sorry for him, so he got to choose where we ate lunch. CiCi's of course :/ First, I drove to Walgreen's to get the nasal mist for myself only to find they didn't have it in stock. My options were to stay there and get a shot or drive a few miles up the road and pay $15 more for the mist somewhere else. I had to think hard about it, but gave in and got the shot. I can give birth to 4 children, but I'll pass on shots (and dental visits...that's a post for another day).
I'm feeling long-winded, so I guess I better stop now and save some for tomorrow since I've vowed to be more consistant with my posts. Tomorrow's topic- I'm thinking "date nights".

No comments:

Post a Comment