Thursday, October 6, 2011

Date nights

All relationships need time and attention to truly flourish. Not only have Jason & I committed to a weekly date night, but he is trying to be consistent in taking the kids out one at a time. Daniel gets time with his daddy 3 nights out of the month when they go to guitar lessons together. Afterward they go grab a coke or a late dinner and discuss the latest book they've been going through in the Bible. Currently, they are reading John. Last night Andrew got a turn to go out alone with daddy. He chose to have dinner at the Roadhouse. J let him order a huge glass of "cowboy punch". After dinner they stopped for banana splits at Shakes. For those of you who've not met my husband, he is VERY sociable. Chatty would be an understatement. When he worked at the police department, his nickname was "Gabby". Andrew, on the other hand, takes after me. He is a boy of few words. Poor Jason texted me throughout their meal about how being with Andrew reminded him of our early dating years. He would ask me how I was & I would answer with a simple, "fine". Did you have a good day? "Yeah". And so the night went with Andrew :) I encouraged Jason & let him know that Andrew truly was having a great time- just as I did so many years ago. Andrew is also our child with the most OCD tendencies. They all have a few, but he takes the cake. J sent me a picture of our son's place setting at the restaurant. Everything was neatly arranged in front of him. Today I took a picture of his work space to show J that A really is consistent. We colored sombreros that were labeled in Spanish colors. When Andrew finished, he laid the corresponding crayon on top of each sombrero, all lying in the same direction. Bless our kids' hearts. They have a 200% chance of developing OCD. Jason is a compulsive lock-checker & I have even number issues, especially when eating is involved. I suppose we all have our quirks, right?
While these two were out last night, the other 3 & I did a little neighborhood outreach. We have 2 sweet widow ladies who live very close to us. I baked up some banana bread and had the kids draw pictures and write notes to them and we delivered the loaves in tissue filled gift bags so they could enjoy it for breakfast this morning. I hope that my kids will always be aware of the people in need around them, and seek out ways to help meet their needs. I have not been an attentive enough neighbor to these sweet ladies and that was brought to my attention last week when one of them broke down in tears in my driveway. I felt like a heel for not checking on her more. I know she's lonely :*(
Tonight was my turn to have some quality time with the man of my house. We usually have a couple of sitters stay with the kids on our date night, but this week my sister & brother-in-law
offered to take them to dinner and a theater production at a local university. I know they needed a change of pace & a break from this house, so it was a good outing for them. They also had ice cream at about 9:00 just before they got home for bedtime :) Needless to say, they had a late bedtime tonight. That's okay though since we choose not to have school on Fridays. It just means momma gets to sleep in tomorrow! (God willing...please Jesus?) Jason & I enjoyed dinner at Red Lobster and were able to converse- uninterrupted- about all the new & exciting things going on in our lives right now. I ALWAYS enjoy my time with him & I'm so grateful to have it. Tonight I am thankful for my sweet family <3

No comments:

Post a Comment